• Advertisement

How to wind a perfect coil condenser...

I would expect this topic to have multiple posts by the same person showing us how to do something. If there are pictures, let pint_o_shine know and he can host them for you.

Re: How to wind a perfect coil condenser...

Postby Kapea » Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:20 am

Bentjar wrote:DAD, I have tried 3 different SS flexi lines and still cant get one in a 2 inch pipe. They are advertised as 3/8 inside and 1/2 inch outside but they aint. More like 7/16 id and 5/8 od. Where can I get a 60 in. gas pipe the will wind to fit a 2 inch pipe.
The coil has to fit down into a 2 in. TEE or I would change the top out for a short 3 in. pipe.

Or, you could wind one out of 1/4" OD soft copper tubing (available all over everywhere).
They fit nicely inside 2" copper, and have a shitload of knockdown power.
Kapea

Equipment type: 50mm x 1250mm copper & stainless VM column
50mm copper & stainless pot still
Modular multi-plate 4" bubbler

Postby dad300 » Tue Sep 30, 2014 2:06 pm

The 1/2" x 60" o.d. I got off ebay and it is actually 1/2" o.d.

But I'll offer this idea. I have used the 5/8" o.d. in a 2" column. While not looking as pretty it works just fine.
58th r.jpg

Don't make the coils so, perpendicular...

Here's a pic of the true 1/2" o.d. That's two pieces inside a 1" keg spear.
Flex end r.jpg
dad300

Equipment type: CCVM any size...

How to actually fill coil tubing with salt/sand/... ???

Postby varocketry » Sun Oct 12, 2014 4:24 pm

Kapea, dixiedrifter:

Ok, fill with salt .... but how.?

Seriously, if you have a 20 ft length of coil, how do you get it solidly packed with salt/sand/whatever.? I don't recall this being discussed.

I got a bag of pulverized lime from TractorSupply, dipped out 3-4 cups of the fine lime and it sifted right through a sieve. I've taped a funnel to one end of the 3/8 OD tubing , filled it with the sifted lime, and taped the tubing to the side of cabinets, to hold the tubing vertical, so its about 9 feet up.

At the other end of the tubing, I duct taped a vacuum cleaner nozzle attachment to the tubing. Then apply suction using the handle's bypass hole to modulate the SUCK and observe when any lime has been pulled through. Only took a couple seconds for the lime to apply and I stopped.

But I don't assume its packed tightly in there .... yet? Will rapping the tube along its length to vibrate more down and compact the lime packing work? Does this sound reasonable or is there a better suggestion?

Please advise me.
varocketry

Postby NineInchNails » Sun Oct 12, 2014 5:02 pm

I just taped a small funnel to one end of my copper tubing. I unwind the copper, stood it is vertical as I could from a high place, poured salt into the funnel and it filled the tube. You could do it from on top of your roof if need be. The copper doesn't have to be perfectly vertical. Salt will fill every nook easily, just go kinda slow and it will fill up.
NineInchNails

Equipment type: .
3" Stainless VM (5' column)
3" Stainless Pot Still

Postby Harry » Sun Oct 12, 2014 6:54 pm

Single coil

Double helix coil

Slainte!
regards Harry
http://distillers.tastylime.net/

Winning the hearts & minds; one post at a time.
(you will be assimilated. resistance is futile.)
Harry

Equipment type: 25 Lt 1500W elec. boiler, 2" x 40" packed column VM, x-flow O/head HX, crimp-path Liebig HX, VM proportioning valve, all in copper.
Various experimental gear.

Postby Mud » Sun Oct 12, 2014 7:13 pm

I did the same as NIN. Just stood at the top of the basement stairs with the tube down and around the corner.
Specialization is for Kiwi.
Artisan Distilling Book
Mud

Equipment type: Keg based pot - sometimes propane powered but mostly electric

Postby Kapea » Mon Oct 13, 2014 1:46 am

Same here. I straightened the 1/4" OD copper tube out, crimped one end closed and taped a funnel to the other end. I put the funnel end upstairs and the crimped end downstairs.

The humidity is high here, so I put half a pound of fine-grain table salt (Morton) in a glass brownie pan and popped it in the oven on warm for a half hour or so to make sure it was dry.

Poured a little in the funnel, tap, tap, tap on the tubing, poured more in, tap, tap, tap, poured more in, tap, tap, tap... until tapping didn't make any more go down the funnel.

Easy speasy, 1, 2, threesy.
Kapea

Equipment type: 50mm x 1250mm copper & stainless VM column
50mm copper & stainless pot still
Modular multi-plate 4" bubbler

Previous

Return to Teach Us